Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

2nd Day of Christmas: Salt Dough Ornaments

I remember doing salt dough ornaments when I was a little kid. We went over to Grammie's house and she had the dough ready, cookie cutters, paints, you name it. It was so much fun! My mom still has them and they still go on the tree every year.

This year I saw salt dough ornaments of hand prints on Pinterest. I don't know why that never occurred to me! Even though we are not putting up our own tree this year, I knew that I wanted to make some since
Rowen is only going to be this little once.



While she was eating lunch I got everything ready.

You will need:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 water








I mixed the flour and salt together in a bowl. Then I added the water. I kneaded the dough for 5 minutes.
Simple as that, the dough is ready.







After I rolled out the dough, I gathered my little Cupcake and we got started.






It took a few tries to get it right. You need to push down into the dough pretty hard to get the hand prints to show up.








I cut around them with a butter knife and used the end of a wooden spoon to poke a hole for the hanger. I wasn't going for perfect, but if you are, you could always use a cookie cutter or something rounded to cut out your ornament.

Then I stuck them in the oven at 250 degrees and let them bake for 2 hours.



















After the cooled completely, I decided to paint Rowen's name with the year on them with acrylic paint. I then let the paint dry. I  took them outside and sprayed them with acrylic sealer.


Lastly, after they were dry ( I would recommend drying them outside overnight), I used some ribbon for a hanger, and they were done!



I had so much fun, and so did Rowen. Mission Accompolished.


This is day 2 of a 25 Days of Christmas Series. To see the rest click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment