Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Day 4: DIY project: Centerpieces


These were our centerpieces.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, got this idea from another wedding I found on Pinterest. You can fin that wedding here.

Paying someone to make centerpieces is ridiculously expensive. I found that this is definitely one of the MUSTS for a DIY list. I have come up with a few pieces of advice for saving money and DIYing centerpieces without stressing, and I will show you what I did for my wedding.

Lets go over advice first.

1. Start looking early. You may notice that this is a theme for this series. I found that doing things early not only cut stress in half, but I was able to shop around and find deals on all of the materials I needed.

2. Pick materials that are inexpensive. If you have a decent size wedding, you are going to find that you are probably going to have to make more than a few centerpieces. If I have learned anything from my dabbles into the crafting world, the cost of materials can add up quickly. For my wedding I chose cheap vases, yarn , mason jars, floating candles, and wine bottles.  I asked on Facebook for any of our wino friends to save their empty wine bottles and we already had mason jars. Your wedding is a great time to repurpose things you have laying around your house and make them beautiful again, and it saves you a lot of money if you do so.

3. Get help. I did a lot of the decorations myself when I was up at night watching Dexter with my husband. However, my bridesmaids came over multiple times to help out with the centerpieces, and I am so glad they did. Not only was it nice having company, but it went faster and there were more brains to figure out the problems that popped up along the way.

4. Work diligently and don't put these off! I had so much going on the week before the wedding, there is no way I would have been able to make centerpieces.

Easy and Inexpensive DIY Centerpiece:
These centerpieces were seriously so easy. Like....stupid easy, and they looked amazing! I really loved the look of mismatched bottles. I felt like it gave the wedding a simple, chic feel, which was perfect because my husband and I are not formal-wedding-type people at all. I used mason jars, wine bottles, and simple cylinder vases.

Materials:
7 1/2 inch vases - $1 from Dollar Tree
Mason Jars -I had them, but you can get 12 at Target for $10
Wine bottles- Ours were donated from friends
Yarn- I ordered in bulk and on clearance online from
Floating candles- 25 for $13 on Amazon

Vases:
The vases were the simplest of the three.
                          
 
 
 
 

 
 

 



The first thing I did was tie the yarn in a knot towards the bottom of the vase. I made sure to leave extra.













 Then I started wrapping. I didn't diligently wrap the yarn. I wrapped it as fast as I could, then I pushed all of the yarn towards the bottom of the vase. This gave it the tightly wrapped look in no time.
                                      


After I had it tightly wrapped as high as I wanted it, I messily wrapped the yarn in a second layer going back down the vase.

When I got to the bottom, I used the extra yarn from the original knot, to tie a know and secure the yarn. And Voila! A wrapped vase.



Mason Jars:

I followed the exact same steps as I did the vases. However, because of the shape of the mason jars, I started the yarn higher, and ended lower than the vase.  This worked out perfect with the floating candles I put in them.
                              
 
 

Wine Bottles:






And then there were the wine bottles... Oh my... I was so mad at myself the first night my maid of honor and I tried wrapping these suckers. They were such a pain in the butt! But, we finally found what worked, and I was super happy with the end result.
     

First I tied the knot like I did with the vases and mason jars.
I wrapped the bottle the same way I did the vases and mason jars as well, up until the neck started getting smaller.
This is where we found most of our problems. After experimenting with different methods, we found that brushing on some Modge Podge was the solution. We brushed it on and let it get a little tacky before wrapping the yarn over it.

We wrapped slowly and purposefully, making sure to lay the yarn flush against the yarn below it.

After the bottle was completely wrapped, I let it dry all of the way and messily wrapped the yarn back down the bottle. This gave it the look of multiple layers and allowed for us to tie off the yarn with the original knot, same as with the vases and mason jars.



                             
 
This is day 4 of a 31 day series. To see the rest, click here!
 
 
 
 
You can also find me on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment